Thursday 26 August 2010

Wordy Thursday

I have absolutely no idea what this is. Honestly. I have no idea where I was going with it, or anything. It was under the headline 'Bleep.' Go figure, as the Americans say.

The car-sized, disc-shaped object gleamed dully in the early morning light. Dr Montgomery ducked under the yellow tape and entered the area beyond the cordon. As he approached the disc across the field, his cautious steps, outstretched hands, hunched body and set jaw betrayed his thoughts: This could be it. This could be the one. Perhaps this time it isn’t a hoax.

Behind him and around him, the hushed muttering that had emanated from the circle of soldiers, scientists and junior ministers since he had arrived stuttered to a halt. They’re thinking the same as me, he thought, all of them. How quiet it is.


Just then the object let out a deafening, piercing squeal and the crowd yelped in alarm. Montgomery threw himself flat onto the dew-sodden grass. Jesus Jesus bloody fucking Christ!

‘I’m all right. I’m all right,’ he announced out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment